Is secular education still worth it?

Kennysplash

Is secular education still worth it?

Post by Kennysplash »

The workforce shenanigans prompted this question. Yesterday I saw two different job advertisements. One was for an accounting firm that required a masters degree for $18.
The other was a plumbing company looking for a trained plumber, for $25 per hour.

It makes me wonder why go to school instead of learning and mastering a skill? Many educated ones are terribly underpaid, but there are people that have perfected their crafts and earn 6 figures per year.

What do you think?
Jason
Site Admin

Re: Is secular education still worth it?

Post by Jason »

Kennysplash wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 2:03 pm
The workforce shenanigans prompted this question. Yesterday I saw two different job advertisements. One was for an accounting firm that required a masters degree for $18.
The other was a plumbing company looking for a trained plumber, for $25 per hour.

It makes me wonder why go to school instead of learning and mastering a skill? Many educated ones are terribly underpaid, but there are people that have perfected their crafts and earn 6 figures per year.

What do you think?
A path in life depends on focus. A blue collar or a university path can work depending on the focus. Anyway, despite it, some obstacles are harder to overcome for many people. For instance, it's tough to get work with a bachelor's in philosophy I think, but with a tech certificate in carpentry it would be easy.

Note: I do think there needs to be more accountability with how loans are given out and people should follow two paths (two college degrees or one trade certificate and a college degree, or two trade certificates) as insurance against hard times (opinion).